Skip to main content

Reply to "Biggest Change from HS to College as a Pitcher"

@adbono posted:

100% correct, Bob. When I played I was a guy that liked to shake off pitches. Sometimes I did it for effect and sometimes I wanted to throw a different pitch. Our starting C didn’t like that so the backup C caught when I pitched b/c he didn’t care. Our starting C didn’t know how to call my game. He didn’t understand how I set up hitters. He only knew one way to call a game and that worked fine for our top 2 guys who went on to have very respectable big league careers. But it didn’t work for most of the rest of us as we didn’t have the same amount of talent. I recall a game during my senior year when I didn’t have my best stuff and I was trying anything to get outs. A really good hitter was at the plate and I shook off every sign to get back to the original pitch that was called. Sometime during that process I heard a loud comment from the opposing teams dugout - “what the hell are you doing? You don’t have that many pitches!”

LOL! You brought make a memory. I shook off the curve. Then I thought I should have gone with it. I shook off signs with the intention of the catcher coming back around to the curve. Instead, he called time. He took three steps in front of the plate and yelled at me, “You only have three effing pitches. Now effing pick one!” This is what happens when a freshman shakes off a junior.