Skip to main content

Reply to "Biggest Change from HS to College as a Pitcher"

@TPM posted:

Pitchers have different mentalities. Some make better starters some make better relievers, some are better set up guys, but it all depends on their "stuff".  I don't agree with giving a guy only one chance as a starter or leaving a young pitcher in the BP for 100 pitches.

I came into the discussion because sometimes it just boggles my mind what goes on in college baseball.

This has turned into a good topic with a lot of input.

Parents and future players do your homework.

Because it's not going to get easier.

One weekend I dropped in at a P5:game. The park was between the mall and our home. I saw a game and stopped. When I went to these games I was scoping out the opponent for future potential for my son. There was no way in hell he would play within biking distance of home. Plus the home team was mediocre on their good days.

I chatted up parents for information. One asked if my son was a pitcher or position player. Freshman year of high school was a little early to know. Then he handed me a stat sheet. He asked me if I saw anything unusual.

The starters had a disproportionate number of innings even for starters and high ERA’s. The relievers had a disproportionately small number of innings for college ball.

The parent told me if my son has starting pitcher potential to stay far away from the school where his son was pitching. Starting pitcher pitch counts were absurd. His son was a Sunday starter.

Last edited by RJM