Skip to main content

Reply to "Biggest Change from HS to College as a Pitcher"

Tom House and Wes Johnson in the same thread…

Tom was a big part of my son’s baseball maturation process and I’m thankful for his influence in arm care, nutrition, and mental aspects of pitching. He’s a polarizing figure in the industry based on his views, I can only say that his input and guidance influenced my son in a very positive way since HS.

Wes was also a big part of my son’s journey, during both their single year at Arkansas. Wes, also polarizing as some blame him for arm issues that plagued Mississippi State. I can say that Wes’ program was like what my son was already doing on his own. This was a big change from juco, where Trev did his own workouts after practice (an activity that created some conflict). Regardless, Wes is all about science and positivity and was another positive influence in my kids journey.

Do I think Wes or Van Horn would let a catcher call the game? Certainly, a mid-week game or a series blowout sure… If things were tight, I don’t think there’s any strategy that coaches can control being put on the players shoulders at most college programs.  

@PitchingFan, I realize I’ve help drift this thread off topic and never actually answered the initial question. My apologies , I think this is what you were asking:

My son pitched in youth ball, but not in HS until his senior year. He was a thrower, touching low 90’s and not much else. He was used as a closer or stopper, he would typically come in mid inning, going from a corner position to the mound. He’d heat up playing catch while the coach talked to the current pitcher and waiting for the blue to walk out, and then Trev would get his warmups and throw.

In college he needed to learn how to pitch and leverage the unique things each pitcher has for an advantage (for him, velo, long stride, high spin, release point, etc). He got hammered for a while, but his velo improved along with his understanding of how to pitch. That combination with good coaching and physical/mental conditioning got him from juco to D1 – where he went from a closer to a starter.

Last year he went back to a relieving and enjoyed bullpen culture and comradery. Now the lockout is over, the proving himself starts anew, and he’s blessed for the opportunity.