Skip to main content

Reply to "Bird in hand"

@JETSR71 posted:

Half the tournaments played this year were 16u.  Playing in a 16u tournament right now.  Played both the 15u WWBA and the 16u WWBA. Made it to the semi's last week in a 15u and will make bracket in this weeks 16u.

If he plays for the top 16u team, we know which players are already being looked at by Tennessee, Vandy, Georgia, etc. at 15u. They are also 2022 grads.  He will definitely get seen by top teams and coaches by virtue of playing with them.

If he goes to the 17u team, does he get those same looks?

I thought this was really strange; I did not know that kids play down, especially if they have high-level aspirations.  So I looked at the twelve 15U teams that played in the 16U WWBA this summer.  Almost all had at least two or three 2022s, some had more; almost none of those 2022s were committed, nor, on those particular teams (with two exceptions), were most of the 2023s.

I'd look at your organization's 16U teams from this summer, see how many of their 2021 players (i.e. playing down) are committed, compared to the 17U teams' 2021 players.  That may tell you something.