Skip to main content

Reply to "B.I.V. baseball camp/showcase in virginia"

Pat -
Something else to consider - where is your son? Is he D1 material? Not sure? I would try to get him evaluated and be prepared to be told that he is not where you thought he was. My opinion (which is not much) is that the difference between D1 and D3 is not much; it isn't obvious to many - other than maybe size. Also, how much does he want to play? Something else that isn't said too much (or I was deaf) is - what is his speed (read 60 yd. time)? Many "good" players are too slow. We went to an Orioles try-out the other year - it was run and then throw from position and they said many of these try-outs are cut off after only the run - no hitting; the only ones who got a chance to hit were those that ran by their cutoff time (I believe 7 seconds)and threw well from their positions. There were maybe 100 or so HS and college players there - it was cut to 15-20 for the hitting. They said they were happy if they found 1 prospect. I will say that they cover speed and acceleration training there at the camp - the camper has to put it into practice. It's not a bad camp, but as I said before - does your son have the ability, has he tried to make any contact with coaches, does he want to go to school in VA? I do know that many did the BIV as rising juniors and then did PG and other showcases as rising seniors. If your son is iffy about college or college in VA, maybe a D3 prospect (but not sure), and not willing (read - hasn't) to contact and talk to coaches himself - then maybe it would be a waste of money. If someone you trust has told you he can play college, he's maybe about VA colleges, and has tried to phone and/or has talked to several coaches - then this could be a great camp. Sorry for the rambling. Hope this helps. Make sure you read the timelime on the main site and other posts here that will give you a more well rounded focus on what to do and when.

Tim Robertson