Skip to main content

Reply to "bizarre play in girls high school softball"

I'm not convinced that you had the force out at second correct.  The runner never abandoned baserunning, they merely vacated a base that they had previously occupied.

Since the force was recorded at third prior to a play at second, the runner who previously occupied second when the ball was hit, is no longer entitled to any base, so that person becomes non-existent for the rest of the discussion.  As soon as that occurred, the runner (who had occupied first at the time of the hit) is entitled to second, and if they were on second when the force out at third was recorded, has removed the force at second.

I see this as no different than a person sliding into second safely (with a force on), taking their foot off the bag (even with the fielder on the bag with the ball), then retouching the bag before being tagged.  I can't imagine any umpire would rule that the force was back on when the runner removed his/her foot.  You would insist a tag be made before ruling an out because the force were no longer in effect.  It seems that this is irrespective to which side (first base side or third base side) of second that the runner were physically standing.

Am I wrong?