Skip to main content

Reply to "Blessing & curse of being a high draft pick"

quote:
Originally posted by Highlandermom:
vdc ...

Do you think this applies more to high school players than college players ... or do you think this is likely more universal (high school and college alike)?

The reason I ask (not that our son will ever have that problem) is that I wonder if high school players are more likely to be distracted by their "press" than a college player. Werth himself says "The best advice I could give, especially now that I've been through it, is you stop reading, you stop believing everything said about you and you just go out there and play." ... so I was wondering if you think that is more a concern for the younger players than the older guys who are 3+ years older.

Just wondered what your thoughts on this were.

ShapsMa
http://www.athletics.ucr.edu/images/bearmountain.gif

More important than HS vs College is whether the kid & his family have their heads on straight. I've met 17 year olds that were incredibly grounded & mature/27 year olds who were immature egotists who loved only themselves.

The cliche' about the apple not falling far from the tree is true so if you show them you can handle the "fame & fortune" the right way, they should be able to handle whatever Baseball brings to their life.