Skip to main content

Reply to "Blocking Problem"

coach2709 posted:

You look MUCH better in that video than the other ones.  I especially like the adjustment you made with your trigger in moving to a more gentle landing / heel lift versus the stomp.  Hard to tell but I think you have some power and I like the swing because it looks like you generate some good bat speed.  One thing I did notice is that on 1 or 2 swings you hands go too far back on your trigger.  Imagine pulling the string back on a bow and arrow and your hands doing that before you commit to the swing.  Against higher velocity guys that will probably hurt you but it might have been just those few times.

Behind the plate you looked better as well.  The only thing I see I would fix is on some of the pitches your upper body raises when you catch the ball.  That can block the umpire from seeing the pitch.  As the pitch arrives you want to get as small as possible.  Now going back to the other thread in the main forum your raising up may be because you don't know what pitch is coming.  This is why your pitcher needs to be on the same page as you so you can do the best possible job for him.  I've let my pitchers call their own game before.  They shake the catcher off until they get what they want.  You can do that here if your pitcher wants to throw his own game.

Thank you! I am starting my summer season soon, so I will get video then. And as for my swing, I understand what you mean by my hands going too far back, I believe that occurs sometimes because when I was taught by my uncle about my load, he had me over-emphasize my load so I would feel it, I just have to make that adjustment. And I do it for some power, last summer I had a homerun (the only one on the team to hit one).