Skip to main content

Reply to "Blog of AFLAC All-American Games - coach's view"

AFLAC Day 3

Follow Mitty head coach Bill Hutton as he wil be blogging from San Diego, the site of the AFLAC All-American Game, where he is the head coach of the West squad. Enjoy!

Well it is really starting to hit me with regard to how special this opportunity is for the players and coaches. It is a tremendous reward and opportunity to beam with pride and a sense of accomplishment. Now on day #3, I am getting to know the players a lot better. I can recognize each player by their face and am much farther along matching names with positions and high schools that the kids attend. We had a practice again this morning at USD. I did not hit infield/outfield, but instead had Manny Hermosillo from Montgomery High School in San Ysidro, California hit the round. I stood back and tried real hard to quiz myself on each kids name and school and position and those 15 minutes meant the world to me. A time to step back and learn. It felt like the first day of class when you are trying to learn the kids’ names. So, I was feeling better after the morning workout. Hit a million more ground balls during BP to the 4 middle infielders that we have. The drills were more laid back today as everyone was more comfortable with each other. Players were pulled aside to shoot spots for the MLB network and FOX sports during the time when their squad was not taking BP. Met with FOX producers who indeed confirmed that I would be wearing a wire during the game. They had me mention to the team that if they were to be sitting by me to watch their language and told me they might use live action between innings or a good clip on tape if they liked it. So I am practicing my "way to go's" and "good jobs"

After drills, we had round one of the home run derby. All players got a shot at hitting balls out of USD. The wind was blowing in fairly hard and there was a heavy layer of fog, so the only home runs were directly down either line where the fence was a bit shorter. The laid back atmosphere of the derby gave all of us a chance to get to know each other a bit and by the time the derby and the lunch was over everyone was a lot more comfortable with each other. Lots more smiling and joking. Good traditional baseball humor.

Upon return to the hotel the players had to sit down and sign the boxed sets of Topps baseball cards made for the game. So everyone sat and signed for about an hour. Cards, posters, and bats. Then some down time before dressing up for a meet and greet with the honorary chairman, Andre Dawson. Then we were off to the San Diego Hall of Champions for the AFLAC All American Banquet and Awards night.

Meeting Andre Dawson was a thrill and an honor. He spoke to the teams and coaches in a private room and took pictures with everyone and answered questions. It was quite a thrill. After Andre spoke with us, we boarded the bus for the trip to the AFLAC Awards Banquet at the San Diego Hall of Champions. On the way to the hall, the bus driver drove us by Petco Park and again that was a wakeup call to me about how much of an honor it is to be part of this game. All 38 players and 6 coaches had their jaws in their laps as we drove around the empty stadium. It was to say the least, a bit overwhelming.

The banquet was first class all the way. The Hall of Champions is amazing. It is a mini-Cooperstown celebrating all the sports legends of the San Diego area. All sports, all levels, both amateur and professional. It was amazing. Then a classy dinner and awards for each player (and coaches), special awards for national honors, a great speech by Andre Dawson, video clips of the players and all the activities we have been part of so far. A really classy evening all the way around.
Tomorrow it is off to Petco.

This is an amazing experience for myself. I have met great people, been treated like a celebrity, and am very thankful for all of it. Tomorrow it is off to Petco at 12:15 for a 5:00 game. Just like it should be. Get there early and enjoy it. Team picture, batting practice, snack time, home run derby finals and the ball game.

The kids have been great. And the adults in charge are noticing and grateful for that. What a great time.

Talk to you tomorrow night. GO WEST!

Bill Hutton
Archbishop Mitty High School