Skip to main content

Reply to "Blue Grey Classic"

NJBBdad,

All I can do is tell you what I saw. My son's team, "Team Virginia" was an elite bunch of players, the best in the State as it was the year before. Coach Wiley Lee is no slow roller, his high school team, Great Bridge, won the State AAA baseball Championship. Team Maryland coach Billy Johnson is no slow roller either, go to one of his hitting seminars. I know for a fact he had two of his players in Maryland (lived on the same street)sign pro contracts for over 8 millon dollars.

Due to the weather I think some of the I/O had to be rescheduled. I would imagine Gus has no control over the scouts as to whether 20 + want to watch the pitchers and not as many wanted to watch when you son's team did their I/O. All of the showcases I've been to by the last day not many scouts are hanging around. You learn you better shine early and throw the heat on the first day.

Regardless of if the ball is thrown by hand or hit by a bat due to time restraints and the outfield was extremely soggy and slick. I would imagine it would be to the players benefit to have it rolled or thrown to them by hand. I've seen it done both ways. I would guess the scouts are looking for arm strength and accuracy. Speed is measured in the 60.

I don't remember LSU or Cal State being there but plenty of good solid D I and DII schools from around this area attended.

CV

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

Earl Weaver