Skip to main content

Reply to "Bluezebra: Am I going to jail?"

I actually posted in the original thread before it evolved into this ugly childish mess.

So, for what its worth, here goes.

"WHAT SHOULD A BASERUNNER CONFRONTED WITH A FIELDER WHO IS DELIBERATELY OBSTRUCTING HIS PATH TO THE BASE DO?".

I believe a baserunner should do everything in his power to get to the base he is attempting. If the fielder is deliberately blocking a base and there is contact, I will have obstruction and he will get that base.

Is there a down side to the P-dogs thought that the runner should continue in his path to the base with his arms up and shove the fielder out of the way as he continues to the base?. I do not think this is a good idea.

Why? You are relying on me (as BU) to adjudge the obstruction as intentional, but opening up the contact to be judged as malicious. If Ive got malicious contact, then your runner is liable to be called for it. (nfhs rule 2-21-Art 1-b).

So, I believe that a runner should do all possible short of "arms up and shove"...and let the umpire decide.

And on a personal note, much of the high respect I have held for the posters in this thread has been lost. It need not have come to this.
Last edited by piaa_ump