Skip to main content

Reply to "Body type, pitching and projectibility"

Originally Posted by Kyle Boddy:

Never factored in: A long, lanky body is very difficult to control and repeat mechanically - both hitting and pitching. Huge negative projection there.

But everyone wants to see the upside and it's institutionalized. I promise that at the highest levels that many people think like this and don't change their minds. I do work for one org that actually doesn't believe this, but it's a rare mindset.

I recently took my son and another one of my pitchers to a showcase event. My son was throwing 82 in a bullpen (been throwing 83-84, but was off a little after pitching two days before). The other kid I've been working with was throwing 81. I spoke to the coach running it. He was crazy about my son and had little to nothing to say about the other kid. the difference? My son is 6' 4" (grown one inch since the start of the HS season) / 175 lbs. The other kid is 5' 9" / 190 lbs. Both are upcoming Sophs and just turned 15 within the past three months. He told me, "what I love about your kid is that he's 'projectable.'" I laughed and returned the compliment with, "you mean he's tall?" he looked at me like I was an idiot.