Skip to main content

Reply to "Body type, pitching and projectibility"

Had to jump in here. Son is 5'11" 170lbs. Up to 95 several times and touched 96 late in HS season. Headed to Clemson this weekend to check in to summer school on scholarship to get in 2 classes before fall.  I firmly believe he was passed up in the draft because of his size. He was overlooked forever before last summer due to his size until he ran it up there 92-93. I love the fact that he isn't big and there is bias, I think it's a bit unfair but also believe the aspects mentioned about throwing angle and distance from release to plate. We are fine with this "sizecism", the effective discrimination due to size that exists in baseball, it drives him. I firmly believe had he not had an emergency appendectomy last fall in November and didn't pick up a baseball for 12 weeks he would have been up to 97 this spring. He is flat out blessed with athleticism and a fast arm. even with that, he probably still wouldn't have been drafted. He is excited about Coach Lee at Clemson and ready to compete and get better. Advice for my fellow posters with diminutive kids, cultivate their desire to play and be positive, there's plenty of discrimination in life to not let it affect you in the game of baseball.