Skip to main content

Reply to "Boras Classic 2017"

2022OFDad posted:

It’s cool to show righteous indignation when you feel like you are at the center of the universe, as many of the frequent posters on here seem to feel. 

What you are seeing at Boras, and was shown in the PG tweet in your example, 2019Dad, is just another flavor of the self licking ice cream cone that travel baseball, and this website, have become. What is pretty interesting are the replies below that PG tweet, most of them are pretty hostile toward PG. Ranking players and advertising how many commits a program has, or how many play in an event, serves one purpose - to feed the bottom line. That is why they do it. That is why national programs have 5-6-7 teams at all age levels, because parents buy into it. That is why people want to attend these events, because people buy into it.

Boras is a pompous ass.  He is much more a self-promotor than he is good for baseball.  The way that he advertises his events serves to remind everyone of that.  Comments above about feeding the bottom line are spot on. Here is why it rubs me the wrong way - I don't support the monetization of a boy's dream and I don't like to see an uneducated public buy in and feed it.  It has nothing to do with Texas, California or Tennessee.  I also don't like it when rich private high schools recruit the best players, give them scholarships, and then brag about how many D1 commits they have.  That rubs me the wrong way too.  But that's just me...  As it has been stated many times on this board, being a D1 commit doesn't insure success at the D1 level.  D1 programs are over-recruiting at an alarming rate - bringing in close to 20 kids per year in each recruiting class to assemble a 35 man roster. Do the math - that makes for a lot of attrition.