Skip to main content

Reply to "Boras Classic 2017"

PABaseball posted:
bacdorslider posted:

I should have said committing to a D1 school is not hard , if you have the goods.... I get that kids want that exp.  but wanting it, and working for it is just not enough.  And the posts I read on here encouraging players that we have never seen play , to attend this or that showcase , play on this of that travel team is not good advice when the the goal should be education at any level.  I just wish folks would get off the D1 thing.  

I agree with almost everything you said, but I don't necessarily have to see a kid play to give advice based on his situation. It's based off what I would do if I were that parent.

Kid is a sophomore throwing 88, I don't have to see him play to know that he is probably one of the better players in his area. Having seen other young players throw hard, take a certain path and turn out successful why would I not offer similar advice? When I say join a certain team it's meant to see how you stack up and how you perform with/against better players. Not with the idea that a D1 commitment automatically comes with an ECobb Astros uniform. 

I do agree that it is all about education though. 2019 made a list of 20 schools he could play baseball at. I had to cross about 6 off because they were straight party schools with a  degree that holds no value. Of the remaining schools, some would have been reaches to get into without a baseball coach pushing his app thru. It worked out. I could care less about the level, just happy he used baseball to go to college at a discounted rate. 

I agree with you... I wasn't trying to single anyone out, I am guilty of it myself....