Skip to main content

Reply to ""Borderline Pitches""

Its that is the whole point.
Negative waste of time which will put many UMPS in a rare mood.
The rules are NO ARGUING ABOUT STRIKES AND BALLS. A little interaction with the UMP can be fun but don't turn him against the pithcher.
As a pitcher you will get lots of calls you don't like and to tee off every time would result in a pitcher out of control and a big loser.
UMPs love to do a game with a pitcher they get respect from. I remember my son pitching a game which was part of the selection process for the Ontario Youth Team. He was totally in control and they subed in a new 3rd baseman who made 7 errors in a row on routine grounders. His errors resulted in our losing the game. My son was composed and he never got upset nor show any signs of blaming the player. While I was walking off the field the 3 UMPs met up in front of me and praised him amoung themselves for his composure after pitching a dominant game and losing. I talked to my son and I said if he didn't get picked I would be in shock. He said no way I lost and then I told him what the UMPS had said. He was one of 32 kids picked for the tryout from all the players in Ontario. I don't know if the UMPS had anything to do with it but I am sure they said something. The selection was done by MLB scouts from the 4 day tournament. He was also a year under age (16).
The UMPs zone, the crowd and all the negatives should be shut out. Act like you are winning the game.
I definitly prefer pilsner's stike Zone but you have to figure out early what the UMP wants and you give it to them.