Skip to main content

Reply to ""Borderline Pitches""

"Does this sound familar. "when any part of the ball passes through any part of the strike zone." If it does, can we agree that the pitcher's job is to throw that pitch, the hitters job is to hit that pitch and the unpires job is to call that pitch a strike if it is not hit, fouled or swung at and missed?

Can we further agree that if any part of the ball does not pass through any part of the strike zone and it is not hit, fouled or swung at, that it should be called a ball?"

I agree 100%...totally.....

However......

I believe what Pirate fan and I are saying that we all try to call the strike zone as described in the rule book. Going back on my training, I can tell you based on video proof, that I call the borderline pitch inside and low a strike, but the outside and up pitch a ball.....now that is defining "my zone" over the strict rule book zone....

Its a condition of my height, my stance, my experience and probably a hundred other factors.......I keep working to refine my zone to fit into the rule book, but truth be told, I probably wont ever get it book rule perfect.....

"But if it is in the smallest measure more than one baseball off the plate, it is not a borderline pitch in and out, it is a ball. The ability to recognize and make that distinction as an umpire consistently and fairly is what we all should be striving to reach and teaching or practicing any other artifice that makes that call inaccurate is to be favoring the hitter over the pitcher or vice versa and has no place in this game."

I also agree 100%.........I hesitate to offer this statement since usually this is the childs way out, but I will offer that it isnt as easy as it seems.....But I will guarantee you that I will keep trying to get better.......(PA state clinic March 11, 2006)where I will get cage work in....

"And if everyody does that, then "that same pitch . . . will" not vary from ump to ump."

Despite all our efforts, I feel there will always be some variance.......but I will try to get better......if at any time I feel I am doing "good enough" and fail to work on refining my game......I will call it a career.......

hope this helps understanding of my point of view....
Last edited by piaa_ump