Skip to main content

Reply to ""Borderline Pitches""

TW - A very good arguement and definiely a legal interpetation of the rule as it is written and you are 100% correct.

However, as Piaa_ump and I have tried to explain there are many outside factors that are envolved in detemining "if any or all of the baseball went thru any part of the strike zone."

Umpire's stance, head height, how the catcher received the ball etc. are external factors that go into calling the pitch, near the outer most edge of the stike zone. As piaa_ump has said this is the pitch that any good umpire will strive to call correctly. This is the pitch you have to call inorder to move up in an umpire organization and into hihger level ball.

Let me give you an analogy. You are driving 57 mph in a 55 mph zone. Technically and legally you are speeding. If following the tone of this thread one should get a speeding ticket. Yet in reality, you probably won't get a ticket. (Unless your in TX and from VA, a little comic relief).
The reason you will not get a ticket is because there are to many variables that could effect the radar gun with such a small differential. The calibration of the radar gun or the spedometer, outside interference with the radar beam which could give a false reading, etc. Therefore, there is no conclusive evidence that someone was actually going "over" the speed limit.

With that said, I hope all see this as the reality of the situation when the the ump is calling balls and strikes, exspecially on the pitch the is at the outer most portion of the strike zone and determining if any or all of the ball went thru the zone (i.e. borderline pitch).

If not, so be it.