Skip to main content

Reply to "Bottom feeder D1 versus ranked D3"

baseballhs posted:
Hammer823 posted:

I think people overestimate the pitching velocity of D1 baseball.  There are some mid-low level D1 schools close to me and they maybe have 1-2 pitchers touching 90.  I'm friends with an AC at one, and he says the same about his team.   Most of the staff is sitting in the mid eighties.  Even watching the College World Series, there were many more pitchers that were mid to upper 80's than 90 plus.  I also go to Cape League games each summer, sitting next to MLB scouts, and there are way more guys in the mid to upper 80's than in the 90's.  The scouts have told me that a very large number of guys sitting 90 plus get drafted right out of high school, skipping college ball.  They said that's even more true of 93 plus.

I just don't see that.  Summer after sophomore year, almost every pitcher I saw commit was touching 90 or higher.  I assume if they are throwing 90+ as sophomores they will be at least a mile or two higher by graduation. We have 3 on our hs team that throw between 90-94.  We have lefties throwing 84-85 with no offers.  I think in the last several years, there are just a larger number of kids throwing really hard.

I've lost count of the number of times I've watched a college game on tv/stream and compared the broadcast velo to the pitcher's PG profile, and found the pitcher's FB is sitting at or under his PG best. Sometimes 3-4 years later. It happened during the Alabama-Auburn game the other night. Different guns? Sitting vs max effort? No gains in college? I don't know, but I see it all the time.