Skip to main content

Reply to "Bowling Green, Furman Eliminating Baseball"

As for the programs being cut - I don't agree. I don't think losing the money in tuition will make up the cost to run a program. Some guys will stay to finish their degrees, but they are going to lose about 25-30 paying customers. Even if all were in state, that is quite a bit of money out the window. Furman is private and expensive, I don't know how they justify that decision. 

On the other hand, we can get mad all we want about programs getting the axe, but baseball is a very expensive sport that doesn't make any money. 15 hotel rooms for 3 nights multiple times a year is not cheap. Airfare, coaches, facilities, etc. Bowling Green's first 5 series were all on the road with more to come. That is a lot of money being spent on a team that will take 4 years to win 50 games. In Furman's case, they've had 3 or 4 winning seasons in the past 15 years. 

This is not a knock on either program, but I bet if they were 36-20 there would be a different conversation. If you're a coach or an athletic director at a school struggling make the financial end work there has to be some change. Scheduling locally has to be the name of the game moving forward for these programs.