Skip to main content

Reply to "Boycott Gatorade"

I was with some of you not too long ago in regards to my view of the "socker" (thanks rz for the alternate spelling). Although I am not a fan of the game, there is something about it that simply amazes me. No, not the short shorts. These guys are seriously athletes like none other. Yeah it might take more skill to hit a 98 mph fastball than to run down a field, but that's just the surface level. Those guys are running for 45 min. straight with only short breaks while the ball is across the field. How many baseball players could run for 45 min. straight, much of which being sprints? Now, throw in the ball. Having the agility to move with the ball at your feet one on one...I know I can't do it. Now put 19 other guys out there (not including goalies) and try to move the ball from one teammate to another while 10 other guys are trying to stop you? The body control that these guys have is simply amazing because they're running one way, and often kicking the ball another direction with some bend on it to wrap it around a defender to give their teammates a legitimate chance at scoring. All while trying to kick it so they don't make their teammate go offsides. Oh, and has anyone mentioned the mental capacity of these guys. Those socker hooligans can be worse than any fans at a baseball game. Fans in the SEC are probably the closest thing in baseball.

Now, in no way am I saying socker is a tougher sport than baseball. When you look at it on the surface, yes, it is just communist kickball, just like how baseball probably appears to be just guys throwing a ball around, to some people. When you look at the skill and strategies that are involved in the game, it is very similar to the intricacies of baseball in that there are so many different variables and skills that players must have. Just remember that if all you see are 98 mph fastballs you can catch up to it. Now mix in some offspeed pitches and it takes a special person to be able to catch up with the heater. It's the same exact way with any other sport! So don't knock one until you understand the intricacies of it!! I know I for one and impressed with these guys' abilities.

But then again, I might just be being brainwashed by my former s****r player girlfriend...