Skip to main content

Reply to "Brand Name Bias?"

22and25 posted:

Rankings at this point are about the horses in the stable.  That doesn't change after one lap around the track.  The ranking right now are still about what the teams look like on paper.  There needs to be a lot more data points before they start getting shuffled around.  

I agree 22and25 this is the way it is, and it is that way because that is the way it has always been.   But this is not the way it should be.  There is a lot I really love about college baseball but their ranking system is not among them.  Let's be real here.  Yes, it is a popularity contest most years and the baseball blue bloods are always at the top to start the season with pre-season rankings.  But when the season starts and they lose, they need to be moved down until they prove they deserve a top ranking.  Too often these schools get elevated to top based on their HC, last years performance, or their recruiting class that hasn't done jack squat on a college baseball field.   Frankly, this is utter bullsh*t in my opinion.   Prove to the college baseball world through performance on the field (not through media relations) that your team deserves a top ranking.  I don't care how a college baseball team looks on paper, I care about how they perform.  The ranking system needs to reflect performance once the first pitch is thrown and pre-season is over.

If the games at the beginning of the season don't matter then why are they being played?