Skip to main content

Reply to "Brian McCann and the home run police."

This has been a hot topic on sports talk today - lots of divided opinions.  When I watch the clip that isolates Gomez, he stares and jaws practically the whole way around the bases - way too much.  If his motive was retaliation from being hit three months ago on the knee, a strut and a few-second glare would have been understandable (and most effective) but he didn't stop there.  Isolated view of Maholm has him not saying much.  As Gomez was still glaring and yapping as he rounded first and well on his way to second, I would expect a vet 1b to say something.  As he approached home and was still at it, I would expect a vet catcher to stand up and say something (albeit meeting Gomez ten feet up the line was certainly an interesting twist).

I'm a neutral party on this one.  If the criticism on the Braves is that they take it upon themselves to be baseball etiquette police, I don't see that as a bad thing.  I don't follow either very closely but I have only heard good things about McCann's character while I believe Gomez has had some other hot-head moments in the past.  And, did you see his eyes popping out of his head when he had to be restrained?  A little  disturbing.

BTW, at first he refused to apologize, so I'm pretty sure that was a demand from the organization.