Skip to main content

Reply to "Brian McCann and the home run police."

Originally Posted by oldmanmoses:

FWIW I would love to have seen Gomez take that swing against Drysdale or Gibson or Marachial or Jenkins. He would have gotten one in the ribs right there. It seems funny that we have people on here ripping McCann but funny that no one on mlb network, former mlb players, said anything about him. Anecdotal tale, Willie Mays goes up to the plate and as was his habit he kept his head down took his place in the box and proceeded to start digging in. Upon looking up and seeing Don Drysdale glaring he said to the catcher something to the effect of wow, forgot who was pitching. He was knocked down on next pitch, not hit, knocked down. It is about a hitter getting so comfortable that he just disdains anything that the pitcher does. At the MLB level that equates to taking food and money off of a families table. That's why Harold Reynolds was just livid that Gomez got a pitch to hit. And as far as pimping the home run, he was circling the bases just spewing out a torrent of abuse to the pitcher, the first basemen the middle infielders and to the third basemen. Kudos to McCann for what he did. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Remember, baseball is not this sweet little game that a lot of people think it is. You have to be a little hard to play this game, see Cobb and Rose and also Pedroia.

I've spoken to several MLB players, present and past, that feel the exact same way I feel.

Just because Drysdale et. al. acted that way does not mean it's right. 

With that being said, there is a significant difference between throwing inside to a batter and stopping play to have a physical altercation with a player. McCann could have handled his immature policing in a much better- and more respectful- manner.