Skip to main content

Reply to "Bringing in "Ringers""

Originally Posted by bballman:
Does it not violate NCAA amateur eligibility for someone to pay for transportation and lodging to an event?  I thought I saw that somewhere.  Maybe it was a question on the NCAA clearinghouse form and I'm just misinterpreting it.

Can't be otherwise AAU basketball would be non existent. 

Probably a loophole in there somewhere that is big enough to fit a truck through.  Something like "representatives", "Boosters" and colleges are not allowed other than "Official Visits".  "Friends" no problem. 

Need to keep up the appearances of no Quid Pro Quo.  This problem will be solved soon enough though.  As soon as all of it is declared illegal and colleges have to face the music of paying these kids openly all of that silliness will and up in the trash bin.

Maybe it will be only basketball and football that happens to but I doubt the courts will make that distinction. 

Imagine a world where MLB and MiLB has to compete to pay players with colleges instead of the cozy relationship that exists today?  It might be the end of the $850 a month player in the low minors.  More kids will end up in school if they can get fed, housed and the $1,000 a month to be at Gainesville rather than on a bus in Mizzoula.