Skip to main content

Reply to "Bringing in "Ringers""

Originally Posted by Golfman25:
You brought up a legitimate issue concerning what "promises" where made about rosters, etc.  I answered it.  You don't like the answer.  That's fine.  
. . . 
And no coach in their right mind says, come with us, pay $xxxx, but beware I'll bring in ringers and your kid should expect to sit.

It's not that I don't like the answer.  I don't care what the answer is, other than in so far as my opinion of the situation depends on the answer. The problem is your opinion of the situation doesn't depend on the answer.  Even though it's pretty clear the coach didn't make explicit promises, you and your "friend" are still nurturing a grievance.

In fact, there are plenty of travel coaches out there in there right minds who make it very clear that signing on with their program brings no guarantees of when or how much a particular player will see the field or even which squad within their program the player will be assigned to.  

There are teams located at all points along the spectrum that runs from "friendly development" at one end to "extreme competition" at the other end.  It's not a matter of right and wrong: it's a matter of different strokes for different folks and different coaches trying to serve different niches.

If you guess wrong, even by a little bit, about where the coach thinks his team fits along that spectrum, you may have an unhappy experience.  

That's why a general understanding of how you think teams in your area do things is not a substitute for asking direct questions in advance to find out exactly what you are buying.

That didn't happen here.   

Caveat emptor.