Skip to main content

Reply to "Brooks Robinson H.S. All Star Game"

Bear,

That is correct! He was the starting QB last fall, and will start again this fall. He and I have spoken about this. He has gotten some pressure from baseball folks about quitting football and concentrating on baseball year around. As his family member, a former hs football and baseball player, and a former hs football and baseball coach, I was sort of biased in offering advice. Anyone who has ever played football understands the sacrifice and the special feeling you have after playing a game. I told him that I always regretted not going to a small college and playing both. He says he really loves football. I told him that fall baseball wasn't worth him second guessing his decision not to play all fall. I think this is an individual decision...works out for some, but is not for everybody. I have faced the same quandary recently with my daughter. She is 8 and plays softball and s****r, but her first love is swimming. She has asked me about giving up the former 2 to focus year around on swimming. I definitely think 8 is too young to "specialize", so her mom and I have encouraged her to continue playing the other sports as long as she enjoys them.