Skip to main content

Reply to "Broward All Small Team"

BigJD - great topic and very good picks, in my opinion. One quibble, I think Will Block is too tall to qualify. After chatting with him a couple days ago, I believe he has grown beyond 5'8".

I had a long talk with a MLB scout about Will earlier this year. I have known the kid since he was 8 years old. I asked the scout what his thoughts were viz. Will. Answer: too small. My response: you just saw the kid hit a 400 ft. home run, he's in high school and can do that, why does he need to be any bigger? He throws the ball across the the diamond at 90 mph, what else does this kid need to do to get some attention? Still, no interest. But, when I mentioned the kid was a scratch golfer, in his spare time, I thought I saw a flicker of understanding. This kid is special. So, we shall see, come draft days, what might happen. The MLB team that takes him (if any) will be well rewarded. (Personlly, (scouts out there) I think you are nuts if you don't take him, particularly if the only reason is size). In the interim, FAU has a heck of a player on its roster for next year.

Also, I am a huge Marseco fan. I do not know the kid, although I believe I have met his Dad. But, I have seen him make play after (highlight film) play. Over the years he has stolen victory from my kid's team, with both bat and glove, more times than I care to remember. He will be a great college player, and Samford does have a steal.

From my experience, the other kids on the list seem well-chosen. Thank you for the good work on behalf of local baseball talent.