Skip to main content

Reply to "Brush With Greatness"

My son spent three summers playing with sons of Roger Clemens, Woody Williams, and Craig Biggio.  Needless to say we had some great times.  Roger had a hard time being a dad.  Too many people hounding him all the time.  Craig and Woody are some of the classiest guys you would ever meet.  I played with Woody in summer ball during our college years and he hasn't changed a bit.  Craig was so down to earth, my kids never even asked him for an autograph.  He stayed in the same Hotels we did, ate the same food, etc.  He just wants to be a normal dad watching his kids.  Several times he would say to me, "Let's talk about something important."  That was deer hunting.  He got tired of answering stupid questions like, "You ever get hit by a pitch that really hurt?"  His reply was 'It hurt every time.  Let me throw a 95 fastball off your ribcage.'  But just took it all in stride and laughed every time.  I have the utmost respect for those guys.  They threw BP to the kids before games for three summers, even going so far as to let my younger kid get in and get some hacks after every BP session.  Craig is now a Hall of Famer but he is still Cavan's Dad to my kids.