Skip to main content

Reply to "BSF, bench, & pain"

quote:
With all the machines that you have to work your legs on, I never understand why people risk injury working their legs with free weights. Even when they use the free weights they do the exercise improperly increasing the risk of injury. Too much weight, wrong technique, etc...

If you use the machines I feel you decrease the risk of injury significantly, but you still need to use the proper weight and technique with your leg action.

As for the bench press, the same thing goes. I'm a firm believer most injuries in the gym happen from poor form and overtraining.

And so castles made of sand, slips into the sea. Eventually.

I understand your point about poor technique, it's certainly a major issue, but machines are not safe by any means.

They promote improper movement patterns, neurological patterning, insufficient stabilizer recruitment and poor posture. This will lead to poor performance and increase chance of injury.

In addition they have very little carryover to sports.

The bottom line is learn proper technique of exercises and leave your ego at the door. 90% of injuries are simply putting too much weight on the bar.