Skip to main content

Reply to "Budgeting for out of state tournaments."

ELIJAH, I'm sure everyone is different, but here's our experience.  1) The team usually books rooms at a very affordable hotel.  Most of the players/parents stay at that hotel and some upgrade or downgrade depending on their personal financial circumstances and if they want to be in a certain area to enjoy the town, etc.  2) These hotels often have a microwave -- some have the kitchenettes, but personally I'd never cook there. 3) We eat out most of the time, but also often stop at a local grocery store for healthy snacks and I always pack a small cooler with extra food for my son -- some ballparks don't allow coolers, so check in advance.  4) We will usually have one team/parent/coach dinner on a trip and then other nights when we're not playing will either go by ourselves if we need a break away from others or partner up with families we enjoy.  It gets really hard to plan dinners for 35-50 people every night unless you have a very enthusiastic team mom or manager. 

All of that being said, we've been on a few different travel teams over the years and the dynamic is very different depending on the parent set and how the coach likes to run things.  I'd advise talking with a few other parents at the parent meeting they usually have before the season starts to get a feel for what people like to do and then adapt.  If you're coming on to an already assembled team, then just ask one of the parents what they typically do to get the inside scoop.

Hope this is helpful.