Skip to main content

Reply to "Budgeting for out of state tournaments."

CaCO3Girl posted:

Agree with MUCh of what JoeMKTG said.

-We don't book with the team, we book a house through VRBO. Sometimes you can share sometimes you don't want to.  Went to a FL trip this year, the mandatory hotel ROOM was going to be $1500 for the week, I got a 3 bedroom house for $700, with a washer/dryer, and was 20 minutes closer to the parks than the team.  I also grocery shop and cook most meals at "home", but do always splurge on one big meal, usually an all you can eat buffet of seafood.

-Meal together happens once or twice because it really does take two years.

-I drive, a car that is yours is very useful and far cheaper than air fare and car rental.  I drove to Cooperstown and I drove to FT. Myers....people who flew regretted it...although I did send my 8 year old daughter on a flight with my Mom to arrive the day after we did in Ft. Myers.  She had an adventure, we didn't have her in the car for hours and hours.  The boy sleeps or has his headphones in, the girl just talks and talks and talks. If you can send the younger sibling by plane I highly recommend it!

-I only use one credit card while away. I typically go to tourist places, where there are tourists there are crimes. It's easy to watch/cancel ONE card, it's a lot harder to deal with multiple cards being stolen.

-For the kid....I don't do much.  He packs his Jerseys and a pair of baseball pants for every day he is there but also bring Iron Out to get out the red clay if possible. His sliders, his hat(s), his cup, his cleats, his bats...etc. He's been responsible for his stuff since age 11.

"-I only use one credit card while away. I typically go to tourist places, where there are tourists there are crimes. It's easy to watch/cancel ONE card, it's a lot harder to deal with multiple cards being stolen."

I like this idea! How did you get out of doing the mandatory hotel?