Skip to main content

Reply to "Bumbry"

Folks,

If the draft were about "stats", I would have been drafted in the 10th round back in 1984 based on the numbers I put up my senior year in high school.

The draft is about potential. For example, Tim Hamulack (Harford County) was a big, strong guy who had mediocre numbers in high school as a hitter and pitcher. I asked the Astros territorial guy to come take a look, cause I figured if Tim got any kinda coaching whatsoever, he could really turn into a solid player with major league potential. He threw 86-87 with terrible mechanics, could hit the baseball 400 ft with a big loopy swing. He failed alot more than not in high school ball.

The scouts came in to see him and loved him. That was back in 1997. Tim is enjoying his 12th year of professional baseball, and has been in the majors three different times for three different teams.

Someone sees potential in these guys and pulls the trigger. Every club does it.

As for Gary at Towson, he was a terrific college hitter, and will no doubt be a senior sign after the draft (unless he is taken in the later rounds). I don't, however, envision him in a major league uniform one day. What position is he going to play?