Skip to main content

Reply to "Bumgardner or Kershaw?"

Originally Posted by luv baseball:

InfieldDad - I think that line started not as a slam on Bumgarner but more of a pump the breaks on the greatest World Series performance of all time talk and so you get the comparisons to what happened in the past.  That was my approach to it anyhow.

No doubt it was a great effort worthy of praise and recognition - but the greatest ever - that conversation is what makes this site fun IMO.

Thanks for the post and observation.  I happen to support the view that over 162 games, Kershaw is proving he is terrific and has the potential to be on the list of the best.  That hanging curve to Adams and his earlier late game issue certainly make me wonder? He, in my view, is not one to lose focus/concentration. I also doubt the crowd/post-season impact him.  Because he is so good, I hope he does have future post-season success so his talent is not diminished by some because of the post-season.

Personally, I like the idea of Bumgarner being 2nd or wherever others want to put him.  I believe Bumgarner likes it too...makes him work harder and be mentally tougher.  Locally it is well know he respects Kershaw a lot and watches his games carefully.

http://www.sfgate.com/giants/a...miration-5242996.php

One aspect not discussed yet is how they compare on a value basis, with Kershaw signed for 7 years at over $30M per year vs Bumgarner signed for 5 for a total value of about $37M. While I do think Kershaw is more dominant thus far, on a value basis, the dollar gap is much wider than the performance gap, in my view.