Skip to main content

Reply to "Bunt - FC, Sac or Hit"

RPD,

I’ll admit I let that one get away because I wasn’t thinking about the rule, just the movement of the runner, so I’ll say you did a nice job catching it. That’s the atta boy. Now comes retort.

1st, I used to paraphrase rules too, but after I had my a$$ handed to me and got embarrassed a few times, I stopped it. What really says is:

OBR 10.08(d) Score a sacrifice fly when, before two are out, the batter hits a ball in flight handled by an outfielder or an infielder running in the outfield in fair or foul territory that …

That’s really different than what you said because it limits it to only balls hit into the outfield. Still a nice catch on your part though.

Now here’s one for you.

OBR Rule 2,00 An INFIELDER is a fielder who occupies a position in the infield.

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

5.09(f) A fair ball touches a runner or an umpire on fair territory before it touches an infielder including the pitcher, or touches an umpire before it has passed an infielder other than the pitcher; runners advance, if forced.

7.05(g) comment (For the purpose of Rule 7.05 (g) a catcher is considered an infielder.)

8.01(e) If the pitcher removes his pivot foot from contact with the pitcher’s plate by stepping backward with that foot, he thereby becomes an infielder and if he makes a wild throw from that position, it shall be considered the same as a wild throw by any other infielder.

I can see how you could make a case for the catcher not being an infielder other than 7.05(g) because his position isn't technically IN the infield, but as you can see, once the pitcher disengages correctly prior to the pitch, and any other times, he is considered a fielder. Since his position is in the infield, it follows he’s an infielder by definition.

Now, none of that is meant to take away from your “catch” because it was a fair one. You gave me a reason to get in there and dig around a bit, and that was fun. Great job!

What if the bunt reached the outfield grass? LOL!

Last edited by Stats4Gnats