Skip to main content

Reply to "Bushnell radar gun it w"

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

If you're 14 years old take the gun....walk out to the curb as the garbage truck drives by and throw it in     My son (now 18, D1 commit) was kind of obsessed with how "hard" he could throw....from 14 thru 16.  Last year, playing 17U, he finally realized (or listened) to his coach that told him "it's not all about the MPH".  Guess what.  He got an offer....and committed to a D1 when he had only hit 87.....while 2 or 3 guys on his summer team who had hit the "magical" 90mph number were sitting around waiting for their first offers. The day he got his offer, he struck out the only 3 kids he faced on 11 pitches...and was never over 86.  

He did get 90 this spring...and you know what....he didn't really seem to care one bit.  He finished this spring with a 1.39 ERA...55K's and 18BB's in 49 innings and won the last 3 games he pitched in his HS career....beating teams with records of 21-2, 18-4 and 19-4.  The "numbers" are nice...but at 14 they are absolutely meaningless

In fairness you say 'only' 87...  87 is bringing it as a senior.  Pretty much any kid throwing 87 with any kind of control and 2nd pitch can pitch D1 somewhere.  I would be happy for my kid to throw 87 as a senior.  And those kids throwing 90 are going somewhere too.  I am quite sure they had offers just hadn't decided yet.

Lol...I guess I should clarify a little bit.   My son played on one of the better 17U teams in the Midwest.  His team had 6 or 7 PO's...and 2 or 3 guys who were 2-way guys.  At the time of his offer, his team had a 6'5 lefty who was up to 93 already committed....and 3 or 4 guys who had hit 90 during the summer....yet none had been offered at that time (all have since committed).   In the league/tourneys that we were in, almost every team had multiple guys at 90 though keep in mind that his team had guys from all over the state of Ohio...it wasn't a "local" team with a bunch of kids from one HS. 

Now that makes sense.  As we had said on another thread a couple weeks ago 90 is still pretty special.  And a fair amount of college guys hitting 90 didn't do it til they got to college.