Skip to main content

Reply to "Buster Posey Runned Over"

quote:
Originally posted by DaddyBo:
Don't normally get into the baseball "shoulds and should nots", but here goes. Points I contend...he was not blocking the plate (no matter what some pundits may say in illustrating their argument..seemed clear to me by photos and videos). There was plenty of access to the plate...he just probably would have been out (had the ball been caught).

I also contend IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER in this particular instance, because what was done is what is/has been ALLOWED. Runners have been allowed to go slightly out of the running path to try and "free the ball". Might not be the rule, but it has been allowed. This is why I would not be faulting the runner. He did a normal baseball play, because it is allowed. I think it is unneccessary, but it is allowed. If he was blocking the plate, the same thing would have happened.

Let's say he HAS THE BALL and is waiting...runner is ALLOWED to do whatever he wants in "accessing" the plate. This does not happen anywhere else on the field. An ejection would occur if it happened at second base. If ss was waiting at 2b with a stolen base attempt tag..slightly to the side of the bag (or even over the bag), an ejection would occur if the runner blasted into him to "access" the bag. Why is it different here? (Because it is ALLOWED.) Please do not use the "catcher has protection" argument..there is no protection for these types of collisions (head, neck, arms, wrists, ankles).

I say all this to say that I do believe THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM FOR DISCUSSION about what is allowed at the plate...especially for an all-out, head-lowering trucking to occur.
Thank you, and you are welcome. Smile

Nice analysis.

Running into the catcher is being taught at all levels of baseball where it is allowed. I've seen my son do it and I don't like it one bit but I know he is doing as instructed.

I am obviously a Cleveland Indians fan and I believe a great career was cut short by Pete Rose. I also don't believe Rose did anything technically "wrong" although what was controversial about that play was that it occurred in an "exhibition" game.

This foolishness needs to stop and I appreciate PaDino's arguments on the subject.