Skip to main content

Reply to "Buster Posey Runned Over"

You enter the game, you assume the risks. We could enact numerous rules and regulations that would make the game safer for our millionaire athletes. No blocking the plate, no colliding with catchers, batters with face masks, pitchers with helmets, no take out slides at second, no diving in the outfield, no attempts at foul balls near the stands, no climbing the walls to snag homers, no playing when it rains period, no leaving your feet at all for anything, no head first slides at first base...ah what the heck...no head first slides period, no running on and off the field - please walk, no batting practice - people like A Rod get hurt, no long toss, no tossing balls into the stands, no tossing home runs back, especially in Chicago, ......

The longer the game survives the more watered down it gets, the more the players are paid, the safer we want it to be.

Every new rule is a new infringement on a right. The right to assume the risk. The freedom to block the plate, to earn the respect of your teammates, to deny the winning run.........well maybe that million dollar paycheck is our god after all.

sportsfan5,
quote:
Really? Try replacing the name, Buster Posey, with your own son's name, then get back to me.........

I've sat in the waiting room outside the ER praying the neurosurgeon would tell me my son was alive after being flown by helicopter for a life threatening head injury.

Your son is infinitely more likely to be injured or killed driving home from the game than playing in it. And we have all kinds of rules in place to protect him on the road.

Posey was doing what Posey was paid to do, stop runners from scoring. Do you think he ever saw the Ray Fosse Pete Rose play? Did he know what the risk was? Now if this had happened to Jason Kendall would we be having this discussion?