Skip to main content

Reply to "Buster Posey Runned Over"

I watched Cousins play in college. The kid was a stud: Friday night pitcher, hit 3rd, and starting the rest of the games in CF. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s a good kid. It’s unfortunate that he’s going to have to wear this incident, but I don’t feel sorry for him. My sympathy is reserved for Posey.

I like the Coach 2709 approach of making this a teachable moment. By going to a knee Posey clearly used bad technique and put himself more at risk. From what I’ve read, and what I saw, his intent was not to block the plate. Trying to keep his star player healthy, Bochy had instructed Posey to avoid blocking the plate in these situations. Obviously that advice didn’t help much in this case. Better technique may have.

So what about Cousins? Is his technique being taught? Should it be? Surely not by any HS coaches. But teaching the hook slide? Definitely! It’s obvious Cousins had a lane to the plate—one he claims he didn’t see. If he executes a hook slide he’s safe —even if Posey holds the ball— and there’s your clean play. Same score, same team wins, and this controversy never happens.
Last edited by spizzlepop