Skip to main content

Reply to "Buster Posey Runned Over"

quote:
Has Posey spoken about the incident? I think he will be like Schaeffer and say that his technique was wrong. He may say it was a cheap shot but like redbird said - he stays on his feet and we are NOT discussing this today. Posey would probably be sore and need a day off but his season wouldn't be over.

Coach, he was not on the ground like you two have stated. If he was, he gets trucked and it's over. His foot was in the ground. I'm not saying he should have gone to his knees, but to say that he was off his feet is inaccurate. If his foot hadn't been planted into the ground, he doesn't break his leg and tear the ligaments in his ankle.

I am not completely against collisions at the plate, but this one was out of line. The baserunner deviated greatly from the basepath to cause the collision. If Posey had been blocking the plate, he'd be game to be run over. That is not the case here as the video and photo evidence clearly shows he was not near the 3rd base line.

As for the NC-State incident last year, it appears to me that neither of them were "wrong" but that a collision took place. To me, that can't be eliminated. The baserunner is coming full steam down the line. The catcher goes up the line to catch the throw that was off target. The two collide because they are not looking at each other and occupy the same space. I would consider that an unfortunate and likely unavoidable injury.

Buster Posey's injury is avoided if the baserunner was more intent on scoring than he was on taking out the catcher.