Skip to main content

Reply to "Cal baseball..gone??"

infield:

Thanks for looking out after my interests. My mistake if I saw a shot -- several actually, in more than one post. However, it is clear that you simply don't understand the baseball culture at Arizona State University, where the program probably actually makes some money, or in this state. If you want to believe that attitudes toward baseball are similar at California and at ASU, that is your perogative; I just don't see it. Nor would hardly anyone else on the planet.

In fact, I would venture this: If a member of the Arizona Board of Regents, which oversees ASU, UofA and NAU, seriously proposed dropping baseball at ASU or UofA, they would not be a member of that board for very long.

What I am most amazed at though is how a conversation on Cal dropping baseball somehow migrates to Arizona and Arizona State, where the possibility has never been mentioned or considered, even when the elimination of other sports was proposed (but not carried out because of the private funding that was brought forth). With a son in law school at USD and a daughter in graduate school at USC, I have an appreciation and respect for the culture and approach at at least two California schools. I can tell you that culture is very, very different from what is found here; at Cal, the culture has gone over the edge -- and in my view not in a good way.