Skip to main content

Reply to "Cal baseball..gone??"

Great, you have nothing to worry about except whatever he might be able to do in his status as a member of the Board of Trustees.
Let me go at this a different way.
I love college athletics. Believe in it 200%. Been to Cal, Stanford, Santa Clara, USF, Davis, and many others etc. Attend football, basketball, baseball.
Our son hopes to become a Division I head coach some day.
I read the total cost to support and sustain one athlete at a Division I public university is anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000 per year. It is escalating.
As passionate as I am about the benefits of college athletics, I sit and question the economics and wisdom of those numbers and especially question hte wisdom or validity of underwriting and/or subsidizing those costs with tax payer funds/general University funds.
Add to that the cost control measures impacting the education side, and I actually am much more open to the idea this system cannot be allowed/permitted to exist, supported by public taxes.
My guess is I am in the minority when it comes to my support of college athletics. My further guess is I am in a much smaller minority when it comes to choosing baseball over any other college sport in terms of enjoyment and support.
I don't like those odds for most any baseball program when we include cost per athlete and title IX implications with tax payer money to subsidize huge deficits.
Last edited by infielddad