Skip to main content

Reply to "Cal State campuses will not open this fall, fall sports cancelled, UC schools may follow"

Flu is a well known, well studied disease. With species jumping virus' literally nothing is known before, and much is learned when it emerges. Alot of that preliminary data is unsupported (duh, because there isnt any data of great depth. That emerges over time). So, better to proceed with caution until the virus reveals its secrets.

To say that Corona effects on children are understood simply misstates what is known. In fact, we are all learning in real time of these cases of Kawasaki-like symptoms in children (all over the world). Many of these symptoms are emerging AFTER the virus is resolving. But in NY, 100/100 children who displayed this new symptom either currently had Corona or had the antibodies.

While it does appear the fatality rate for young children is way, way lower than the at-risk group, we simply dont know about things like this symptom or about lingering side-effects. Given a few more months, more data will emerge, more hypothesis will be proven/disproven, more treatment will be approved.

So, I have no idea on the effects on kids.

While i dont accept that kids aren't transmitting the disease to adults, I accept for argument that your point that there is no conclusive study on children transmission is valid. So, when addressing a novel disease is it better to learn first, or simply take the action and learn afterwards?

Of course, it's fortunate kids can drive themselves to school, fix their hot lunches, teach themselves all without adults, etc.  Only being facetious here; but, if the adults who make schooling possible are representative of our fellow citizens, 50% of those adults have comorbidities. What about them?

I am not saying keep elementary and HS shut. How can we get back to work without this child care option?

I am saying that if I were planning I'd plan for both scenarios - distance learning (with all its problems) and an open school. I also think on this issue, region by region is the way to go and, it's way too early to make a pre-college open/distance determination in May.  A kid in NYC who rides public transit to school and sits in a class of 35 has a different situation from, eg, my kids who were driven and had super small classes.

Who knows where we will be at Labor Day; let the data develop and see where it leads.  

But to be sure, economically and for the country's competitive world position, we need our kids to be back in the classroom.

PS  I'm reading a book "The Great Influenza" by John Barry, written in 2004. While I found the first 200 pages dry as dirt (that part laid a broad foundation for what comes later), the book is a great read of the 1918 pandemic. So much of what were arguing about was also argued back then.)

Last edited by Goosegg