Skip to main content

Reply to "Cal State campuses will not open this fall, fall sports cancelled, UC schools may follow"

@TPM posted:

The success to Florida belongs to the PEOPLE of florida who sheltered in place before the rest of the country, and to the MAYORS of the counties and cities who made the bars and restaurants close, and told everyone who didn't have a FL license to go back where they came from.  Kudos to Disney, and the other theme parts to act quickly.  DeSantis should have closed beaches ASAP, so it took city officials to get it done.

Then he took a while for DeSantis to recover from what hit him, county and city officials were begging him to stop the people from getting off ships and the planes coming from NY, NJ etc.  Spring break in Florida was in full bloom. 

Where I live, no outsider was allowed to use our facilities and then the city closed down our ammenties. Where I live it is against the law to enter any business without a mask. I have not heard one person complain. 

We have a huge problem, Florida's unemployment system broke down. People can't get paid and are desperate.  The system is old, our former governor (now a Senator) never did anything to update but DeSantis knew it and had time to install a new system. So he isn't very popular right now. It's going to take awhile for Florida to recover economically.  A very long time.

The death toll as of today is only 1964 out of almost 45k cases.  It could have been much worse.

Hey, you live there and your opinion is first hand.  From what I read and hear, I respectfully disagree only with your view that DeSantis is just a lucky beneficiary of everyone else.  My folks are 30 year Florida residents and have a different view than yours, that's what makes a market.