Skip to main content

Reply to "California Lawmakers Vote to Undo N.C.A.A. Amateurism"

I think there are different conversations here. 

"Skinner, who was elected to the State Senate three years ago, produced a bill that would allow college athletes in California to be paid for the use of their name, image and likeness — be they basketball stars signing their own marketing deals or water polo players advertising offers of swim lessons."

The first part I don't think affects very little in sports today, especially baseball.  The second is a different  ballgame.  The first is you can only be paid for advertising using your name, image, and likeness.  That does not happen very often as a whole.  The closest I see is the billboards with the players on them talking about  buying tickets or the conference ads for SEC, ACC, Big 10 or such.

The second is enormous.  A kid being able to hire an advertising company to get him advertising deals and being able to keep them is giant.  We have to know that Trevor Lawrence, Clemson QB, right now could make millions on advertising.  He may be bigger than most pro QB's and wants the money more than they do so would be doing them every day.  I could even see a small market baseball player making lots of money doing car ads or Nike commercials or the likes. 

I will still hold if the NCAA says don't touch it then the D1 schools will not touch it, especially the P5 schools.