Skip to main content

Reply to "California Lawmakers Vote to Undo N.C.A.A. Amateurism"

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:
PitchingFan posted:

It will never happen because there is no way USC, UCLA, Cal Poly or any other school that is worth a flip will pull out of the NCAA and go independent and not be allowed to be a part of the NCAA tournaments or play NCAA teams.  The schools have nothing to gain so why would they accept it.  The schools will make players sign a contract that says even though the state of California allows it, you cannot accept money and play on our team.  The NCAA has already addressed this when it was presented by saying they will ban all schools in California from NCAA participation if it is passed and put into effect. 

They have everything to gain. If these schools went independent, big deal. The PAC-12 sucks for revenue for teams, crappy TV deal for football, etc. This bill will immediately make these schools coveted by top players. Why wait 1 year (basketball) or 3 years (football) to start making serious coin when you can start as a freshman, start building your brand, and then expand on that when/if you go pro? You people have it all wrong. California D1 programs should be drooling over this. 

I understand your logic but disagree.  The NCAA still holds the cards.  No one, not even the top talent, will want to go to California schools if they can't play for a National Championship or play against the top teams.  it will make the Ca schools just play each other.  They will be on an island with a few paid athletes and a lot of guys not happy. 

I agree the only way this works is if other states come out with them at this point, but if there is much delay the NCAA will probably jump on this early and say any states that jump ship will be removed from NCAA starting January 1, 2023 and that will eliminate it unless other states, I mean lots of states get in this quickly.  I know here in SC it is being considered but is projected at this point to be voted down because Clemson and USC are afraid of the ramifications that the NCAA will attach to it.  They, meaning the administration and alumni, are not willing to give up the NCAA at this point.  It is a great idea but can you imagine the jump ship from Ca schools if the NCAA comes out next week and says CA schools are not eligible for playoffs or playing any non Ca schools starting next year.