Skip to main content

Reply to "California Lawmakers Vote to Undo N.C.A.A. Amateurism"

How many guys actually get their educations prior to turning pro? Look, I get it, virtually every decision anyone makes has an unintended consequence. You suss out as many of those as you can before the law goes live, and hopefully it’s 90% tight. After that, you make adjustments to close loopholes that are cause for abuse. Nobody is perfect, but what you seem to be trying to say, with a good dose of piss and vinegar, is that the status quo is just fine, we can’t do better than that. We can, and we will. I think enough states will join the march to make the NCAA change their philosophy on this. I do t think anyone really expects California to screw over their top educational universities for the benefit of a few athletes, but the idea that anyone else on that college campus can earn income from their name image or likeness except an athlete simply because they are an athlete is ridiculous.  You watch 18 year old millionaires every time you watch a 1st and sometimes 2nd rd draft pick play in the minor leagues.  Again, I really dont think the value of these endorsement deals, on average, will be anywhere close to making too many millionaires. Zion is a generational talent and not the norm.