Skip to main content

Reply to "California Lawmakers Vote to Undo N.C.A.A. Amateurism"

d-mac posted:

I don't know the answers and I don't know exactly how this ends up .  I do know that when March Madness creates 900 million in revenue, the players are going to want a piece of the action.  I know when college football coaches are making 8-10 million a year, the players are going to want a piece of the action.  There are now laws being created in NY, NC, Florida to go along with the California law.  The NY law is the worst as it gives 15% of the gate to the athletes.  That will take money out of the school's budget and that law will kill the smaller schools.  Plus, it is a Title 9 nightmare.  I do think the best way to compensate players is to let them make money from their likeness.   

The athletes don't end up getting a piece of the action. The NCAA will still pull in all that money, coaches will still make 8-10 million. And that 8-10 million is justified when they put a product not he field that generates hundreds of million in revenue.

I'm not entirely sure what gives these guys the right to a piece of the action. Forfeit the free education, housing, max meal plan, healthcare, clothing, books, etc, let the guys pay out of pocket and gamble on themselves and watch how quickly the tables turn. There are probably close to 300 athletes who would be wise to take that deal, for the rest they will never come close to recouping  that investment in advertisements. 

The NY State Law makes the least sense to me. It really only has any meaningful value for Syracuse. Is Suny Binghampton really going to give 15% of the $2,000 gate to 14 different players? Lol