Skip to main content

Reply to "California Lawmakers Vote to Undo N.C.A.A. Amateurism"

there is a committee meeting in a few weeks to discuss this from NCAA according to ESPN report yesterday.  They will discuss the ramifications and the response.  I think the problem is that it will be a bidders war for the top players in every sport.  The school that can pay the most will stack every team in every sport.  it is not just the boosters but the schools that will be able to pay players for their likeness and name.  I know it happens now but I think this in its present form will go unbound.  We can say Vandy and schools like it don't have an advantage right now but they do over most state schools because of scholarships offered.  This will give the ones with the most money a big advantage.  A kid gets hot this year and next year he gets an offer from X money school and transfers.  The best players will not take scholarships because they will get cash so that allows them to transfer easily.  I just think it opens the door for a pay to play system that can deteriorate more what is happening.  There has to be a happy medium.