Skip to main content

Reply to "Call up from JV to Varsity"

CADad

I understand where you are coming from and even thought about that as I typed it. It really comes down to what the coach wants to put up with - a good kid or a punk. Talent really doesn't play into that overall. You can have a great player with a great attitude - he's going to play because it's a no brainer. The difficult choice comes down to the good player with a bad attitude / poor grades or the marginal kid who has a great attitude / great grades - who you going to play?

It's tough because everyone wants to win but at what cost? The good player / bad attitude might win you a few games based on his talent alone but do you want to put up with the headaches that come with him.

Myself personally I would rather have kids around me that I like and get along with. I will take a chance on the good player / bad attitude but if he won't come around to my way of thinking then he and I need to part ways. Is it the right way to do things I don't know but it's worked for me in the past.

I know some can (and do) say I play politics based on this but I think that argument loses value if I consistantly do the same thing over and over - especially if I produce good teams / college players.